29 December 2015

Why I Still Adore Arsenal (by Aiko)

Aiko (Cartoonist)
Let’s go back; back to the beginning! My name is Aiko (Cartoonist), Fullname: Edward Aiko'bua. I feel like Gilbert Thomas Webster having a fun day with his friend Herbert Chapman, trying to put on a Benjamin Franklin smile. I became a Gooner on Saturday 16th May 1998 (at 14 years) while watching the FA Cup Final against Newcastle United alone with my legs on a table in Kampala, Uganda. I was born in 1984 and got enlightened about English football in the 1980s but only fancied Liverpool’s John Barnes by my 5th birthday. In the 90s, I liked Tottenham’s David Ginola, Arsenal’s Ian Wright and then Manchester United’s prideful Eric Cantona.
Anelka 1998
However I never really supported any English Club. Brazil and Bayern Munich (Football Made in Germany) plus individual footballers were my major interests. What really compelled me to Arsenal though was the “retreating defence” method of attempting to win the ball in midfield from an opponent possessing it.

Portrait of Petit (by Aiko) 
Emmanuel Petit and Patrick Vieira executed it best with Joy, Victory and Commitment. Other teams couldn’t bully Arsenal in midfield, I felt. The traditional technique is like the steal in basketball. Since Michael Jordan was retiring from the NBA, I wondered which other sportsperson could be as interesting every month. Central defensive midfielders Cesc Fabregas (El Matador) and Francis Coquelin (The Coq) continued the tradition alongside other Gunners even though not mentioned. One good example of retreating defence was when Vieira (who left in 2005) returned in 2006 with Juventus during the very last UCL season at Highbury, Pires stole the ball from his former teammate and started a counter attack that ended in a goal by Fabregas. Arsenal won 2-0.
Arsenal's FA Cup 1998
During the 1999 season, I followed some of Arsenal’s games until they failed to retain their double. The 2000 season was similar and ended with defeat in the UEFA Cup Final – Arsenal lost to Galatasaray on penalties after a goalless draw. The promise to become champions was still there and I kept following Arsenal. Losing the 2001 FA Cup Final rattled me so much that I even cursed GOD, though I repented immediately or else HE would have struck me dead like Ananias and Sapphira for worms to consume immediately next to a clay wellspring where we used to fetch water. My Favourite Arsenal Goal of All-Time was the stunning 2-1 winner scored by (one of the Unsung Heroes) Ray Parlour against Valencia at Highbury in the Champions League on Wednesday 4th April 2001. It was night-time in Kampala but I ran out of the house screaming and ran back straight to my unconcerned sisters in their room to tell them about it. The Spaniards had already scored a vital away goal but two second-half goals in two minutes (Equaliser by Henry assisted by a  Pires backheel) made Ray Parlour's quickfire strike a stunner. He took the ball from Kanu's shoe near the centre circle, stepped forward a little and blasted in from distance, oooomph! This is London! The Quarterfinal Hurdle was hard to overcome till 2006, but this goal stands out in all the attempts since 1998.

During the 2002 Premiership season after a 3-3 draw on 30th October 2001 where Blackburn Rovers equalised twice at Highbury (The name Michael Ricketts who equalised for Bolton at Highbury for 1-1 the preceding month stuck in my head like a disease), I held up a Bible with my hostelmates as witnesses and swore that I would never, never, never never support Arsenal again. LORD forgive me 'coz little did I know that by midweek, I would be celebrating a 3-1 victory over Mallorca in the Champions League. From that irresistible turnaround night, I have not looked back and felt rewarded with Double Happiness at the end of the season, thanks to Freddie Ljungberg and company. What I grasped was that: sometimes you lose, other times you win. Even a draw can be any of both, so forget the misery and celebrate the successes! 

I actually watched the 2002 FA Cup Final in my High School's Dining Room on Supersport 3 while listening to Five Live Commentary from BBC. Radio waves travel faster than TV waves so I bet I was among the first viewers in the hall to jump up and scream when Freddie netted Arsenal's second goal 10 minutes after Parlour's 70th minute screamer.
Boarding school students usually escape to go clubbing, rendezvous with friends from other schools or for concerts, but I used to sneak out to watch Arsenal games at Klub 5 (Behind Margaret Trowell School of Industrial and Fine Arts) or in Nakulabye opposite Nicodemus Pork Joint and was never caught, not even once unlike some of my schoolmates who even got whipped. I wore a pale green University of Sheffield jumper plus spectacles as camouflage and changed my locomotion while returning for Saturday movies or Sunday night prep so that the teachers on duty would mistake me for an outsider from the nearby Makerere University Kampala. When clear, I took them off to reveal the compulsory school uniform shirt.

Trophy_presentation_Highbury_2004
The 2004 season while at Uganda Christian University (Mukono) was simply unbelievable, but the best moment for me during the extended 49 game unbeaten run was equaling Nottingham Forest’s 42 game record. I watched the game in a packed neighbourhood joint (Big Daddy's Shiners Pub in Kyebando Kisalosalo, a KLA Suburb) and remained hopeful even when Arsenal went down 1-3 by halftime. Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink’s goal for Middlesbrough literally brought back for me deja vu from the 1999 season when his late winner for Leeds United stopped Arsenal from defending their Premiership title. Luckily, Dennis Bergkamp used his experience to pull one back for a gloomy Arsenal but the real excitement started when Supersub Robert Pires beat the offside trap to score the equaliser only five minutes after coming on. We jumped and shouted until the goal replays were replaced with live footage. But even before sitting back on the pub bench, Arsenal was launching another attack. Jose Antonio Reyes dummied a falling defender with his left heel, cut right and fired up into the right innerside net with his less favoured right boot. More jumping and shouting literally recommenced within a minute. The record was now intact and Thierry Henry finished off the game the way he started it, 5-3 it ended.

Failure to win trophies stopped meaning anything; I realised that goals plus attempts, dribbles and saves were actually the thrill.


In the 2005 season, Arsenal didn't defend their Golden Premiership but won the FA Cup against Manchester United, then failed to win again for nine years.

I did not mind because in between were some nice memories including the record for Longest Time before conceeding a goal in the 2006 Champions League; The move to Ashburton Grove; Cesc Fabregas on fire in 2007 (scoring Goals in the last 10 minutes for fun); Comeback Wins Record in 2010 season; Great Games like the First Win against Barcelona at the Emirates (where Jack Wilshere shone and Robin van Persie scored from a very tight angle); King Henry’s Second Coming in 2012; Arrival of German star Mesut Oezil in 2013 and then eventually the 2014 FA Cup.

In 2002 (the glory year), a high school hostelmate nicknamed “Philo” (Rest in Peace) used to bring me newspapers so that I could cut out Arsenal related material and create for him a 96 paged (Arsenal Exclusive) scrapbook. He admired the ones I had made for myself and wanted in. My reward was to keep the newspapers, they were quite many. We met again after university in January 2007 at Corner View Inn Ntinda (Kampala, Uganda) – the first day Arsenal played Manchester United at the Emirates Stadium and reminiesced about life gone by as we watched. When Henry headed in the extra time winner, I ran to the window of the storeyed building and screamed down into the noisy traffic until I lost my voice. Lights were flashing allover at dusk. Unfortunately on the Saturday morning of the 2014 FA Cup Final while I was in Arua, a facebook post by Senior 5 deskmate James Nkuubi (Erican Eye) tagging me broke the sad news that he had hanged himself on Tuesday that week because of overwhelming debts. Someone commented that the story even featured on Bukedde TV's Agataliko Nfufu (a compelling Luganda News Bulletin). Unfortunately, I did not watch the report. Despite dedicating the final in memory of him, I did not celebrate in full like I wanted to. I just wished he was alive to witness his Favourite Club clinch another trophy. LORD have mercy!

When you fail to win a trophy, just celebrate the GOALS! The journey to achieve success is meant to be enjoyed. I still adore Arsenal even without a Champions League title and wish them many more classic goals every game. The character Doc in Cars (2006 Pixar Animation) wonderfully advised, “A trophy is just an empty cup…”

LANESRA: She Wore a Red and White Scarf

Last but not least, the Arsenal Ladies also have their spark. Arguably the Most Successful Team in Football because of their Trophies to Years-in-existence ratio, I bet in future: Women's Super League football will get as much attention as the men's game. The FIFA Women's World Cup is breaking the barriers and maybe I will also be able to write more about the likes of Alex Scott, Kelly Smith and the Chamberlain Lady. The Best Ladies all love Arsenal...