29 December 2015

My Ultimate Arsenal XI

Since the 1998 FA Cup Final (My Enlightenment Game), I have witnessed many Gunners come and go, but here are my Main XI by 2016 Season:

1. Petr CECH (Goalkeeper)
The Czech goalkeeper holds the Premiership Record for the Most Clean Sheets. The Invincible Jens LEHMANN would be my second-choice goalkeeper while David SEAMAN would be reserved for FA Cup ties (Do you remember his impossible one-handed goalline save against Sheffield United in 2003?) Kudos to Bob WILSON and Pat JENNINGS for the heroics before I knew them…

2. Hector BELLERIN (Rightback)
Young but quick-footed, I would place the Spaniard ahead of the brave Cameroonian LAUREN Etame Meyer (Substitute in case of Penalty Shootout)…

3. Tony ADAMS (Centreback Captain)
Mr. Arsenal is the only Player to captain an English club in three different decades (1980s, 1990s, and 2000s) plus won three doubles (The unusual double was beating Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 in both the FA Cup and League Cup finals). Laurent KOSCIELNY can deputise in his absence…

4. Sol CAMPBELL (Centreback)
Strong, solid and dedicated, Sol was the backbone of the Invincibles New Guard alongside Kolo TOURE…

5. Ashley COLE (Leftback)
It is hard choosing an Arsenal leftback: SANTOS was promising but left early, SILVINHO tried and so does Kieran GIBBS, but Ashley COLE brought with him an amazing drive and enthusiasm to win…

6. Patrick VIEIRA (Central Defensive Midfielder)
The talismanic giant clad in jersey number 4 (replaced by Cesc FABREGAS) was one of the three players who made me marvel at Arsenal. The other was his French teammate Emmanuel PETIT because of their “retreating defence” partnership and fearlessness…

7. Robert PIRES (Attacking Midfielder)
During the May 2002 Trophy Presentation, his teammates bowed down before him as he lifted up the EPL Cup on the podium dressed in trousers and an Arsenal shirt. He was still recovering from an injury that ended his season in February but still grabbed the Football Writers’ Player of the Year Award, I cannot say more…

8. Mesut OEZIL (Free-role Midfielder)
The Turkish-German Assist Master was a revelation for Wenger since 2013 creating goals like a wellspring. Just find Oezil! If I was to pick a playmaker from the past for this position, I would choose Liam BRADY…

9. Dennis BERGKAMP (Midfielder)
The Flying Dutchman was a menace to opponents by playing “No Nonsense” Football. His sublime skills made him a darling at Highbury. Bergkamp's testimonial was the First Game played at the brand new Emirates Stadium (Ashburton Grove), great Memory in 2006! I wish his countrymate Robin van PERSIE had stayed longer. Besides the Dutchmen, Freddie LJUNGBERG, Nwankwo KANU and Sylvain WILTORD impressed too…

10. Ian WRIGHT (Striker)
The Englishman was the first Gunner I marveled at (around 1994), but I wasn’t so much into the Premier League. My Biggest Weekly Interest was Michael JORDAN. Then, since MJ23 was retiring the second time in 1998, Arsenal took over in Wright’s final game for Arsenal though on the bench. I still wonder how I missed getting to know Michael THOMAS (1989) at a time I liked Liverpool’s John BARNES or Alan SMITH (1994)…



11Thierry HENRY (Main Striker)
He needs no introduction, definitely the Greatest Gunner ever, an Invincible 49er. If I was to name his replacement, then maybe Davor Suker, Eduardo da Silva or Olivier Giroud if not Cliff Bastin, Ted Drake or Charlie George from the Past. The Team Manager would be Arsene WENGER (the Invincible One), assisted by Herbert CHAPMAN or the other way round…