02 August 2016

Memoirs of a Gunner

KIM KALLSTROM
"I got a Call from my Agent, Roger Ljung (World Cup Bronze Medalist in '94): (Do you want to be loaned out to a Club in the Premier League?) No! (Do you want to be loaned out to Arsenal?) YES!

"I look like a Boy as I walk across the Grass, with the Ball under my Arm. Well-groomed side Parting, a clean red Shirt, white Sleeves and a golden Cannon on my Breast. I'm a Man past 30 Years of Age, in a Boy's Dream. It's the Semifinal of the English FA Cup, against Wigan, with 82,000 People on the Stands of Wembley Stadium, among which 50,000 root for us. They are loud and starving Fans that hunger for a Title. They haven't won anything for nine Years, which is an Eternity for a Club that is considered one of the Greatest in the World. They have the Most Loyal Fans: Gooners. By strange and unexpected Detours, I've ended up at the top Club, Arsenal in North London.

"With straight Legs, I bend down and put the Ball on the Spot, I throw a quick Glance at the Keeper. I've already decided where to place it. I try not to smile. The Moment is here. I'm here - in the middle of the Latin Motto of the Club: Victoria Concordia Crescit, Victory grows through Harmony. I can't help myself but smile slightly. I haven't even played half an Hour for Arsenal. I debuted against Swansea, for 11 Minutes, and now I was substituted on in Extra Time when it was to be decided. 15 Minutes of a Footballer's Life, which changed my Story."